Application & Guidelines:
Winner receives $350 prize money, publication by Northwestern University Press in Fall 2020, 15 copies of the book, and a featured reading at The Poetry Foundation.
Judging will be conducted by a panel of senior minority poets and scholars assembled by the Northwestern University Poetry and Poetics Colloquium.
Poets of color who have not previously published a book-length volume of poetry. Simultaneous submissions to other contests should be noted. Immediate notification upon winning another award is required. Winner must be available for a reading in Chicago in January of 2021.
Reading period begins January 1, 2020. Manuscripts must be submitted by December 31, 2019.
- Complete submission form [see below] to be included with manuscript packet.
- Email a PDF of one manuscript with a submission form attached separately. One manuscript per poet.
- Author’s name should appear on the first page of the manuscript.
- Manuscript must be typed single-sided with a minimum font size of 11 and 25-35 pages in length.
- Manuscript must include a table of contents and list of acknowledgments of previously published poems.
- Do not include illustrations or images of any kind.
- Manuscripts not adhering to submission guidelines will be discarded without notice to sender.
- Post-submission revisions or corrections are not permitted.
Email to: poetrypoeticscolloquium@